Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Georgetown, SC smells like corn. In a good way.

Greetings from Charleston!

Since I updated the blog, we visited Georgetown and returned! You've missed a whole lot! 

The rendezvous was very fun, as always. We got to catch up with old friends and made a few new ones. 

Friday afternoon we went on a tour of Boone Hall Plantation, the oldest working plantation in the country. Or maybe South Carolina. Maybe it was Mount Pleasant. Clearly I wasn't listening. 



There were 7 or 8 slave houses that told different parts of the "story." One explained how the slaves lived, one how they got here, one about the importance of religion to them, etc.


This is the fence surrounding the main house. It's curvy and I thought it was so pretty!


If this driveway looks familiar to you, it may be because you've seen North and South or The Notebook or, apparently, Army Wives.
I could not get over those Oak trees!


Really big me, really small house.


The part of The Notebook when Noah breaks this gate was NOT in the script. They had to replace that gate.


This is my new friend Dick. His wife Pam took the picture. They live in Seattle and work for Outer Reef. 
(Very fun people.)
Don't mind that shmutz on my face.


Friday night was "Dine around Town" night- and since Barry and Alice's son and grandkids were here, they ate on the boat. I went out with friends to a sushi bar that turned into a VERY fun club. 

Saturday afternoon we had lunch and played cornhole (my team won... duh.) before the yacht hop. 

Saturday night, we toured and had dinner aboard the USS Yorktown. SO COOL. I got to walk on the flight deck. Then we toured the barracks, the operating room, the dentist, the bakery, then the ENGINE ROOM! It was huge and confusing and busy.







Sunset from the hangar bay:


On Sunday afternoon, Grace and Leo drove up to visit and stayed on the boat while we traveled up to Georgetown.




(I bought 2 books here!)


I figured out something pretty cool... I speak DUCK! These ducks talked to me quite a bit the past 2 days...




When we got there, a boat we know named Winedown Too was already there (above). And De Onions showed up a couple hours behind us.



We stayed there overnight and left late this morning- about 9:00. 

Now we're back in Charleston. We're staying at a different marina than where the rendezvous was. We love this place- Charleston City Megadock. Fabulous place. Excellent dock hands.

I'll try not to go another week without updating. Hope life is great elsewhere! hugs!

3 comments:

  1. Grace and Leo! Ha! I've been watching all the Will&Grace episodes without you : (

    Nice post! Glad your getting pictures. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trip for all of you. The tours you took look like something I'd like. I would not bang my head though. Glad the weather is working for you on this leg. Chin up. Love, love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also been to Boone Plantation!
    Glad all is well. Have fun:-)

    ReplyDelete






Do what you like. Like what you do.