Sunday, August 1, 2010

No really, thank YOU!

Good afternoon, friends!

You may want to grab a snack. This is a long one.

First of all,


Happy Birthday SCOTT THOMAS!! woo-hooo! the big 2-3! :)


Secondly, Happy August! Can you believe it? Where did July go? I was rather enjoying that month... *sigh*

Alrighty, I left you in DC. I have to tell you about Friday. I explored the city and had a blast! I started the day at Starbucks, then went to the Farmers Market held every Friday near the Smithsonian (in between the Smithsonian and the Printing and Engraving building, if you're interested). From there, I went to the Smithsonian garden to swipe some free internet and people-watch a little before I caught the bus to the Capitol. Check it out!




After wandering around for a while, I caught a bus to Union Station to grab some lunch. Cool photo of Union Station:


On the way to the National Cathedral, the bus took me through Chinatown.

Even Starbucks has some Asian flair!


My favorite part of the day (maybe even the whole trip so far) was the Cathedral. Whoa, baby. It was so gorgeous. I took a ton of pictures, but here are the ones you just have to see.







When I left the Cathedral, I had to wait a little while for the bus. While I was waiting, the cutest little Mexican family (I'm not stereotyping- I witnessed them take about a dozen pictures of the Mexican embassy. Call it deductive reasoning.) sat down next to me and in very broken English, asked me which stop they had to take to get to the museum. What followed was a little episode involving entirely too much head nodding and hand-signaling, pointing and stumbling over words (me more than them).
Eventually I think I convinced them that they had to get off on "STOP TWENTY! VEINTE!!!"
Everyone knows they understand better when you talk louder.

Not 30 seconds went by, barely enough time for me to stick my headphones back in my ears, and continue to mind my own business, and this woman came out of the little building next to the bus stop and asked me if she could set her box down next to me while she went to get her car. What do you say to that?
"Sure?"
So she went, got her car, and I grabbed the box, and brought it to her passenger side door.
No big deal, I thought.
The woman went into hysterics. "You didn't have to do that! That was above and beyond!!!"
I told her I didn't mind, I had the time...
So then she proceeded to run after me with Sugar Babies. To thank me.
This is how everyone should say thank you.

The bus eventually came before I made too many more friends and took me to Georgetown. I wandered, shopped (found nothing), but mostly did a lot of people-watching.

From there, I went to the Lincoln Memorial.

The architecture was very cool, and it was neat to be able to see the reflecting pool from that angle.
I met a nice family there. They took my picture.

Saturday morning, we left our cozy little spot at the end of the Washington Channel. There was a beautiful sunrise:


We headed south on the Potomac and stayed overnight in Ragged Point, VA.

This morning, the weather was a tad chilly- I needed a sweatshirt! :)
We passed by Point No Point:

and made it to Solomons, MD before lunchtime. We washed the boat after lunch. Now we're clean.

Tomorrow is a layover day. There is a pool here, but the wind will have to quit for this wimp to get in.

Lastly, I found a great boat name:

Hope everyone is just ducky! Thanks for reading! Hugs!

5 comments:

  1. 'Bout time we hear from our girl. Great post, love the pictures, again. Love and hugs from your Daddy. Glad you are cooling off. Clean boats are wonderful. Love, love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking to a friend this week about taking a trip up to DC and you just made me want to go even more. Glad to see your having a great time. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That church is truly majestic, brother!

    Keep having fun! And hauling that huge black thing around on the rope! Have no idea what that is...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cathedral pictures. Also - you had me laughing about that bit with the Mexican family :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For real... isn't it strange how people will just come up to you and ask you questions? "Do I look like I know anymore than you!" Weird. I love all of your updates. They make me think that I am with you on the trip.....minus the water. And the boat. And all the National Monuments.

    ReplyDelete






Do what you like. Like what you do.