Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rabid Grasshoppers

Good morning!

...and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Todd Lampke!!! The big 2-0! Yikes!


We're in Oriental, NC. The sailing capital of NC, apparently.


It's been too long since I posted last. I left you in Williamsburg. I spent the day browsing the bookstore, eating lunch at The Cheese Shop, window shopping, and even chatted with some strangers- it was a good day!

That night we had supper at the marina's restaurant. I had trout. just fabulous. We left Saturday mornin for Coinjock, NC and saw THIS: b-e-a-YOU-tiful!


The trip to Coinjock was an eventful one.
We stopped in Portsmouth for fuel, which took about an hour.
Then we had to wait TWO HOURS for the Gilmerton Bridge. It was the weekend, they were doing construction, blah blah blah.
Then we went through the Great Bridge locks and bridge.
THEN, about 30 miles north of Coinjock, we lost engine controls.
Like... the boat wouldn't GO.
Barry asked me to drop the anchor. If there's a question that will get me out of my seat and on my feet faster, I don't know what it is.
I dropped the anchor, Barry notified the barge coming down the waterway that yes, we were anchored, and sorry but no, we can't move.
Then he fixed the engine controls, I pulled in the anchor, and we went on our merry way!
I think this is a good time to thank God for a Captain that knows what he's doing. :)


We left Coinjock Sunday morning and headed for Pungo Creek- the same place we anchored on the way up. We found our spot and camped out for the night. During supper, we watched a storm approaching on the radar. It broke up and almost completely missed us- we got just a light rain, very little wind :)

Yesterday morning, we pulled up the anchor- and a TON of mud! Gross! I took a picture... ...this time wasn't quite as bad as the 1st time we anchored there (I've become fairly handy with a water hose!) but you get the gist...

We got into Oriental Marina yesterday around noon. Had lunch, I finished up some chores, and then went to the pool. We had supper at the restaurant approximatley 20 feet off our bow. There was no need to get moving this morning- we're headed to Beaufort (that's BOW- like you wear in your hair) today and it should only take about 3 hours to get there. We're planning on leaving around 10:30ish.

I'm excited about Beaufort- it's a neat little town. The schedule says we're laying over there- which we may, unless the weather is ideal for traveling outside tomorrow- Barry would like to get in some ocean time...

Thanks for following us! Hugs all around! :)

p.s. we'll be home in 11 days. But don't tell Alice- she gets cranky.

4 comments:

  1. Didn't your mother ever tell you not to talk to strangers??

    If your gettin so good with a hose, next time I'm up in Jax i'll let you wash my car. Ok... thanks. :)

    Hope to see you soonish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I can't get over that town's name, brother. "Coinjock"? I bet it's named after the famous 19th century frontiersman, Coinjock Jacobson...

    ...but you're going to have to fact check me on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. waterbloggedAshley5:07 PM, August 24, 2010

    It's a mulberry.
    And I'm not your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick should know you learned to talk to strangers from your mother. Life is good in the mountains. Trout is good food. Grandpa says HI. Love, love.

    ReplyDelete






Do what you like. Like what you do.